Monday, July 4, 2011

Weekends are a challenge!

BoldHey Ladies! Yep, It is after midnight & I am looking at the BLOG! I am feeling a bit stuck today. I pulled out a book tonight by Judith Beck. She doesn't sound like the most fun person, but she knows what she is talking about when it comes to the psychological aspects of eating & weight. I am writing in hopes that it will sink into my main frame! She suggests waiting two weeks before jumping into a new "diet" and instead use the first two weeks to build skills. She says that with any weight loss approach that it isn't so much the food plan, but having essential techniques. Her approach isn't about endorsing a particular diet but she recommends choosing a healthy plan. Her big things are (1) planning meals, (2) keeping a food log, (3) exercise, (4) not taking on too much at one time, (5) building skills one at a time and implementing change gradually. Day one she recommends recording the advantages of losing weight/being in shape. She suggests using index cards that contain important written messages to help counter sabatoging thoughts. Beck says to read this card every day. She calls the index cards 'Advantages Response Cards.'
Would anyone like to join me on task one between now and our class on Wednesday?
Happy 4th!

2 comments:

In Balance said...

Hey hot stuff! I just read this! It's 4:20 :)...is that too late to join you? I love this whole concept. Lord knows I can use some positive thoughts these days. What did you use??? My most loved benefit of "being in shape" is the confidence and high I feel for the day when I know I've done a hard workout. It actually has little to do with how I look (since, if I'm being honest, I can find a flaw in my body at any given moment no matter how fit I am. I know this about myself and don't like to think about it or admit it. Like I've said before, I'm a mental case!). I soooo love that exhausted but hyper feeling an hour or so after a good workout......Ha, I already feel motivated by this....off to the Reformer for me!!!! See you girls in the morning.

Shelley said...

Thanks, Carrie!
Advantages for me of being in shape include:
being healthy and strong, having a higher quality of life as I get older, having more confidence, feeling more enthused about getting dressed up, ........and so on!