Saturday, July 2, 2011

Walkin the talk...trying to anyway


So today I went to my first hot yoga class in over a year. I was nervous just because I wasn't sure how well Id do (even though there is no good or bad). I just know that Im not as strong or flexible as I use to be and I didn't know how that would effect me in class. Well, there was only three of us in the class; two ladies who were friends and then me. After our first round of OHM chanting we were to go right into a down dog...Oh Jebus it was tough. Have I told you gals that I have the tightest hammies in the land? After what seemed like forever we went into plank then chaturanga (which is like lowering yourself down to the ground) then up dog and back to down dog..over and over we did this...then onto some just standing postures then back to the nice little down dog, plank, chaturanga, updog series. After about 30 minutes my sweat is literally pouring into my eyes making them burn so I take my sweaty arm to wipe my eye and thats when I notice it....my arm pit deodorant balls! Talk about being self conscious after that! Ive been doing warrior one, two and three with my hands in the air -totally care free. Not now. If there were more people in the class I could work my way down to childs pose and use my towel to take care of the deo balls, but it would have been wicked obvious if I did it. So there I am in the middle of a very challenging yoga class not thinking about anything but how embarrassed I am about my deo balls. On top of that I kept finding myself thinking negative thoughts about myself, or imagining my teacher saying negative things about me in his head (because it was a level 2-3 class and it was basically like I was a beginner). During Savasana (where you lay down and rest at the end of class) I just started laughing to myself and thinking about what an experience that past hour has been, and I was thinking about that one post I wrote about how to not judge yourself based on what others are doing. Not quite sure I was walking my talk, but like I said in that original post-its hard to do! Im going to go back to that same yoga class, same teacher next Saturday...Im sure it'll just get progressively better:)

-This photo was taken after the class. It was a sun design made out of caution tape.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Deodorant balls are no big deal. Everybody gets them! The important thing is that you showed up for class and did it! Congrats!!!

In Balance said...

Toooo funny Nicole!

Shelley said...

You are awesome, Nicole! Thank you for being so real and giving of yourself. Great sundial, too. Kind of challenges our perception of beauty and inspires creativity.